I tried to update this blog to 4.5 and the updater was getting stuck on “Copying the required files”. I thought it was my hosting provider being slow, it is a shared host, so I waited about 10 minutes and the updater was still on “Copying the required files”. For some reason I pressed the back button and tried again. Still nothing after waiting 20 minutes.
The second time I tried the update some files were updated and others were left alone. How did I know this? When I went to log back in i got the error below.
Warning: require_once(/homepages/14/d164163635/htdocs/blog/wp-includes/class-wp-site.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/14/d164163635/htdocs/blog/wp-includes/ms-settings.php on line 17
Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required ‘/homepages/14/d164163635/htdocs/blog/wp-includes/class-wp-site.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/lib/php5.6′) in /homepages/14/d164163635/htdocs/blog/wp-includes/ms-settings.phpon line 17
I did some Googling and found a post that said to do the update manually. So after taking a backup of all my files, which I’m glad I did, I opened Filezilla and started the copy over. About half way though the copy I saw that and email was sent to me from my hosting provider and it said that, in summary, “webspace is currently under attack!”. I’m still on the fence if I’m ok with them activity monitoring my website. One side of the coin is that if they think anything is awry they will stop it, as they did the update, and let me know. The much more heavy side of the coin is that more people who dont know about this “feature” will end up with broken websites and will have to spend their weekend or pay someone to fix it. I’m glad I got the email within an hour of working on this so I knew what was going on but I don’t recall one saying this feature was enabled.
After the files finished copying over I was only able to get the first page of my blog and every other page was blank. I did a quick search and found that I need to replace the .htaccess file with the one from my backup and wham-o my blog is back to normal and updated.
So now before I update my blog I’ll have to disable the “Hosting Security” or add an excluded folder so WordPress can update itself.