Lenovo System Update Workaround

I reinstalled my notebook to Windows 8.1 and wanted to use the Lenovo System Update to install the drivers and update the firmware. The only issue is that I was unable to click next after I accepted the EULA. I found a solution that has you run the silent install and reboot.

To run the silent install make sure to run the command prompt window as Administrator and add /a /s /v” /qn” after the .exe. [Example below] It wont work if you don’t have the quotes after /v and /qn. It took about 1 minute to install.

C:\SystemUpdate502-06-26-2013.exe /a /s /v"/qn”

When its done installing, or about a minute, search for “System Update” and launch.

Enable Disk Performance in Task Manager

If you don’t have disk or network monitoring in task manager on Server 2012 run the command below and close and reopen Task Manager. I’ve read some posts saying that it impacts performance. So far I haven’t noticed on the servers that I have in the lab.

Continue reading “Enable Disk Performance in Task Manager”

SBS 2008 and TS Gateway

I got a call this morning from a client who was unable to remote in to their computer from RWW using their SBS 2008 server. I had another client that had this issue a few months back and to fix it all I had to do is recreate the TS Gateway policies.

Typically this one wasn’t that easy to resolve so I ended up searching the Technet website. To fix the issue I ended up changing the SSL Cert that TS Gateway uses and checking every setting in the SBS Web Applications using this Technet article since everything in this post, except for the /RPC settings, was set up or configured the same.

The more detailed explanation:
After I checked all the SSL and Authentication settings in the Remote, RPC, RpcWithCert virtual sites and SBS Web Applications I changed the SSL settings under the virtual site remote to require client certificates from this forum post and I was unable to login to the remote site. Once I changed it back to ignore and restarted the site I was able login though the server without any errors.

image

I also changed the SSL certificate to the one we got from GoDaddy (third party cert) so that it would match the same certificate that was used when connecting to RWW. I assume that is what Microsoft meant when they say “Sites” in the directions under To configure the certificate for Terminal Services Gateway.

image

Who knows what caused this issue and its really hard to track down since nothing was logged in the event viewer. I think a custom app was installed and changed a few settings in IIS which the client didn’t know about.